Raibl is the ancient name of the small village, surrounded by forests of beech and fir trees, and now known as Cave del Predil. Located about 10 km south of Tarvisio is a perfect example of a company town, a city built around its main source of income (in this case, the mining activity) by Companies that have occurred in the management of the mining site.
The history of the mine of Raibl has its roots in pre-roman times. Some findings, in fact, suggest that 800 years before Christ there was a’ extraction activities, although reduced to the superficial layers of the future mine. Evidence of the presence of a communication route to the east european that crossed the valley below the Mountain King, strengthen the hypothesis of some kind of mining activity in roman times. In 1006 Henry II granted some territories forming part of the Lordship federaun, among them also the one of Raibl, to the Bishopric of Bamberg.
The first historical document that makes explicit reference to the mining activity dates back to 1320, when king Frederick II, known as Il Bello, releases a group of miners of the forest, the concession for the exercise of the mining activity. The way of Cave del Predil, called “nova and insueta” because of its harshness and danger, offered a step alternative in order to reach countries in northern Europe.